Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Obama: Government as Hand of God

Hot Air has the campaign image of Obama the Christianist, his Kentucky campaign thrust with "Faith. Hope. Change." above a picture of a cross composed of spotlights shining on Obama at the pulpit, as if giving a sermon. The caption reads:

My faith teaches me that I can sit in church and pray all I want, but I won't be fulfilling God's will unless I go out and do God's work.
- Barack Obama


But there are disconnects here:
  • Where does Senator Obama, now running for President, occupy a pulpit? He is not supposed to campaign from a pulpit, yet that is what the picture shows him doing

  • From a theological point of view, the statement is simply wrong. God does not always wish us to go out and do; sometimes He wants us to wait for Him to do the doing by some other means than us

  • I thank the Senator for the unsubtle accusation that those who do not vote for him are not real Christians, or are not in God's will

  • Senator Obama may want to do God's work, but that doesn't mean he has the divine authority to conscript the rest of us into doing his
I do not deny Senator Obama his right to his faith, nor to give evidence of that faith by his actions.

I deny him the authority to speak for God.

[Oh, and w/t: FrankJ]
-


Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Blog stats

Add to Technorati Favorites